Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Vegetables QOTD

So.  Gluten Free.

It actually hasn't been as bad as I thought. 

Callie and I have eliminated gluten, are trying to cut down on the sugar, and are TRYING to increase the intake of veggies.

That last part?  Brutal.

Callie hasn't really eaten veggies since they were pureed in her baby food.  Seriously.  We never pushed it because we always figured she was getting enough of whatever nutrients are in fruit.  She LOVES fruit. 

Vegetables DO NOT taste anything like fruit.

I bought some carrots and edamame for our first shot at veggies. 

It. Was. Pulling. Teeth. to get her to eat a bite of either one of them.  But we persisted and she managed to choke down a bite of carrot.  Seriously, you'd think that the world was ending with the big deal she made it out to be.

Today at lunch I made her try a cucumber slice, and she immediately spit it out.  But she likes pickles, and pickles are kind of a vegetable, right?, so I made her a "turkey wrap" with pickles inside and she ate it fine.

Notice my fiesta salad?  Deliciously gluten-free.

Tonight we tried cooked vegetables.  She had a VERY small portion of cooked corn, carrots, green beans and peas on her plate.  Refused refused refused.  I put a bite of the veggies on her fork with a piece of her gluten-free pizza, but she totally freaked out and spit it all out.  Then she picked up a green bean and said, "Mom!  This carrot turned green!"

Clearly we have some work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment