Why, oh why, am I SO daunted by it? We haven't been pushing it too much, but have tried a few things to get the ball rolling. Things are not going well.
A story from today:
After nap time I gave her the option to use either the green froggy potty or the Dora potty chair (I have learned to not ask her if she needs to potty, just to ask her which potty). She picked the Dora potty and we got out the potty bag of fun (detailed below). We read books. We sang songs. I even gave her a bite of the Twizzler to entice her to want more (ugh I'm such a sucker). After 10+ minutes, she was just getting agitated (well...to be honest, she wasn't the only agitated one). So I decided to give up, but to also give undies a try. I figured we'd talked SO much about not peeing in undies that...we had to start somewhere, right?
**If you're an experienced parent who has been through potty training you are probably laughing at my rookie mistake right now.**
I kid you not- 30 seconds after I put the undies on, she peed in them.
So. Dang. Frustrated.
I feel like we are doing all of the right things. Such as:
1) We have waited til we know that she knows exactly when she is peeing and pooping. She tells us as it is happening.
In theory, it shouldn't be too hard to use that knowledge for successful potty trips. No luck.
2) We went to Target and gathered all kinds of fun potty things for our potty bag...Dora potty chair that fits onto the big toilet, fun potty books, cute stickers, whiteboard and markers for drawing, and various treats.
In theory, it shouldn't be too hard to bribe her into successful potty trips. No luck.
3) We made a potty chart (about a month ago) to put the stickers on...a pee side and a poop side.
In theory, it shouldn't be too hard to motivate her to do successful potty trips. No luck. Clearly.
| The one sticker was TOTALLY lucky |
So I have decided to bite the bullet and put "Potty Training Bootcamp" in my calendar from Sunday through Tuesday. It's going to be all potty all the time.
Wish us luck. I hope we make it to the other side...because there are really cute pairs of little undies waiting over there.
I have friends who have their kids go nakie for bootcamp. I'm sure it makes a great big mess, but there's nothing like the feel of pee running down your leg to motivate you to get to the toilet!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! Let me know if you need me to pick up Lysol and drop it at your door sometime this week. :)
Have I mentioned that I fear, no FEAR, the potty training. Good luck and I hope the boot camp works! I have visions of me, an infant, and a naked toddler in the middle of Feb trying to do this. Again, FEAR.
ReplyDeleteAs a parent that has gone through this twice I'm going to tell you what you don't want to hear...wait. Hannah did the exact same thing and then peed in her underwear three times in a row. I gave up for a month and it made all the difference. After that month I had her try and pee after her nap and she actually went in the potty. It was like a lightbulb went off in her brain and, I kid you not, she was trained in a weekend. COMPLETELY trained - even over night. Be patient. It's hard, but be patient.
ReplyDelete