Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Camila

Often times I find my brain thinking about random "C" and "K" names for potential future children (I know, SO lame to have our names all start with the same initial sound, but I can't help myself!)

Anyway, one name that has been floating in my brain a lot lately is Camila.  I had no idea why, but it kept popping up.

Awhile ago Cathleen told me about a child she is sponsoring in Columbia through a Christian organization.  I told her that I would LOVE to do that and vowed to check out the website.  Well, as usual, everyday life with a toddler happened and I didn't do it.

Then, a couple of weeks ago, Cathleen told me she had a gift for us.  She went on the website and found the MOST PERFECT CHILD for us and began the sponsor relationship!

Meet Camila:


As you can see, she was born on Callie's birthday.  She is from a small town in Mexico, near Mexico City. She lives with her parents and doesn't have siblings.  Her father is a farm laborer.  The information we got on her says she likes to play with toys and helps at home by "being good."

According to our welcome packet: "Your sponsorship will help provide Camila and her community with access to quality health care, better nutrition and improved health practices.  In addition, your support provides agricultural training and will help to launch small business enterprises so parents can raise the standard of living for their families.  Finally, through Christian witness and bible study, these precious ones will have the chance to know the love and grace of God."

The last part is especially important to us, as Callie has the opportunity to start Sunday School this fall at our church.  It is an opportunity we know is not available to so many children and we are so thankful that Callie will be able to go.

We shared the pictures and information with Callie, so now she talks about Camila, her "friend from Mexico."

We sent off our first letter to her and am excited to hear back in a couple months.  Thanks Auntie Cat, for bringing Camila to us!

And speaking of helping out children in need, you also you probably noticed the new blog design and format.  Thanks to Nikki from Blogs for a Cause for the new design.  She works to help special needs children in other parts of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment