Monday, April 18, 2011

Prom

My friend Melissa, who has 6-month-old Teddy, had a prom freak-out a little bit ago. As in, someday Teddy will be going to prom! After dinner on Saturday night, I had the same freak-out.

I forgot to mention on my Weekend Wrap-Up yesterday that we met our friends Josh and Alison at The Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner on Saturday. Which, coincidentally, had what seemed to be 500,000 prom-goers dining at the same time.

Some of the girls' dresses were SO INAPPROPRIATE. Like, unbelievably inappropriate.

Sheer panels in places that shouldn't be sheer. Backs so low that cracks could easily hang out. Cleavage. Dresses with ugly colors and patterns. Girls with dark tans.

I have never been a mother to a teenager, so I guess I can't say too much...but I do know that I will put my foot down if my teenage girl wants any of the dresses that I saw that night. Nor will she be dark tan (hahahahahahahaha...she couldn't even if she TRIED with having the parents she has!).

I guess it just made me freak out at how big she is already getting. Kids growing up is such a funny thing. It is equal parts amazing and heart-breaking.

I guess I'm glad to have seen the skanky prom-girls, because it has been a good reminder to TREASURE all of the little moments. They go by so fast.

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add that B also said "Thank god we have a boy" in relation to that conversation! Which made me think, "how do I raise a son to find the skankiness as unattractive as it is?" I think this could be equally challenging!

    ReplyDelete