Tuesday, July 28, 2015

DuNord Megapost #2

I'll be honest that today was a pretty hard day. I couldn't get myself to do the things I knew I should do to feel better. Like run. Or shower. It was a cry alone in the car kind of day. A go through the motions and hope everyone survives kind of day.  A just PLEASE let us make it to bedtime kind of day.

Tonight I knew I needed to DO something, so here I am. Showing up on the blog so I can share more camp pictures. Because camp was awesome. And I need reminders of awesome today.

As I mentioned in my last post, we had 2.5 hours every morning to do adult things while the girls did camp activities with their counselors. We fully took advantage of those 12.5 hours throughout the week!

On Monday we took a hike to a spot called Old Baldy. It was beautiful and we even picked blueberries right off the path.

 
On Tuesday we five women drove into town and met with one of Mary's friends who gave us a tour of the author Sigurd Olsen's land and cabin on Listening Point, his house, and writing shack. It was all lovely, as is his writing about nature and his experiences in the north woods.
 
 
On Wednesday we went on a canoe trip to our favorite spot accross the lake to swim and relax.

 
On Thursday a few of us toured a different camp down the road. Camp Wiji is known for using and making wood canvas canoes, so we got to see the canoe shop, talk to the canoe maker, and see the lovely pine trees that are all around their camp.


On Friday we canoed to the other side of camp to walk around and explore a little.  It was REALLY windy on the way back, which proved to be a fun challenge in the canoe.


We were pretty busy in the afternoons too.  Maya was a trooper about naps, and everyone switched off staying with her in the cabin so we could all get out and do things.  Once she woke up, we kept the activities going: boating, going to the beach, or running around camp.  The girls loved it and were exhausted.

There were fishing and fires:


 And more canoeing:

 

And throwing rocks and pine cones and eating ice cream and playing tetherball and monkey bars:


 
And that doesn't even touch on the amount of time we spent at the beach, as well as other whole camp activities!  I'll save those for the next post.


I'll leave you with a story from our time at Listening Point.  Sig Olsen lived to his mid-80s.  On his last day of life he went snowshoeing with his wife.  How cool is that?  After he died, his family found this that he had written on his typewriter:


Since today was a hard day, it is hard to feel that kind of hope.  But that's why I took this picture. As a reminder that we need to have faith that there are good things ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment