Sunday, September 2, 2012

Cincuenta September

This post has absolutely nothing to do with Baby Goose. So if you're looking for the usual OHMYGOSH HOW ARE WE GOING TO SURVIVE TODDLERHOOD story you'll just have to come back later.  Probably tomorrow.

Right now, I need to talk about me.

You may be aware that, for the past 5 years, I have considered myself a runner.  I started in 2007 when I wanted to lose 20 pounds.  I had a great support group of runners at work, and we eventually all did a couple half marathons and then the 2008 Twin Cities Marathon.

Throughout the past five years I have completed 1 full marathon, six half marathons, one 10-mile race, a couple 10Ks and dozens of 5Ks.  You'd think, that after all that running, it would just be a habit.

It is not.

I realized (again) this summer (after my 6th half marathon on June 3rd), that if I am not signed up to run a long distance race, I have a really hard time getting out to run just for fun.

I ran 6 times in June.
I ran 6 times in July.
I ran 2 times in August.

Pathetic.

So it is September, and while I am not signed up for a race, I committing to getting more active.  Henceforth, I have started "Cincuenta September."

I am going to walk, jog or run 50 (or in espanol, cincuenta) miles this month.  It is a lofty goal seeing as I will be working full time, but I need to do it.  My pants are getting tight.  I'm feeling the BLAH feeling that comes with lack of exercise.  It just needs to happen.

So, like the teacher that I am, I made myself a sticker chart/calendar.  And like the special education teacher that I am, I wrote down a measurable goal.

Using the Pillsbury Dough Boy magnet was completely intentional.
So there you have it.  Cincuenta September has commenced.  And you all know and can hold me accountable.  Feel free to ask me what my mileage is throughout the month. :)

And on another note, since this is a long weekend, I'll be doing our weekend wrap-up tomorrow night.  Happy Labor Day weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I also have a chart, but it's not pink. That might motivate me a bit more, though!! I think I might do the TC10K on Oct. 6th. I feel like that's distance enough for me right now - achievable but stretching it a bit. I'm like you - I need a race or goal or I just sit down for a month. :)

    ReplyDelete