That pretty much sums up my weekend.
But before I explain, let me first say GO LYNX!!! As of today, the MN Lynx are going the the WNBA Finals! Chris and I got to see the first Western Conference Championship game on Thursday night...in my parents' courtside seats. And it was awesome. Then the Lynx won today in Phoenix, so they swept the series to get to the finals. At least we have one team in MN making us proud.
On to the weekend. I have mentioned before about some new phases going on. And I blogged on Saturday about the nap issues that went on. I guess this weekend, with the combination of the bad naps and temper tantrums (at the drop of a hat!), made me reevaluate my awesomeness as a parent.
I think my biggest fear is the loss of control. For 21 months I have pretty much been able to keep her in my little bubble of happiness. As her mom, I have usually been able to predict her moods and anticipate what she needs when. I have usually been able to calm her down and "outsmart" her if need be. This weekend felt like the end of that era, and the beginning of living with a rather unpredictable too-cute-for-her-own-good stinker butt era.
Basically, she knows what she wants (or doesn't want), and if she doesn't get her way, she lets it be known. Loudly. No matter where we are or what we're doing. And there is nothing we can do at this point to reason with her because she doesn't quite understand things yet.
All in all, I know that this is usual behavior for kids her age, and that it is only a phase. I was just taken aback by the new phase and need to learn new strategies for coping with the new behaviors (do I sound like a special ed teacher or what?).
In between all the nap battles and temper tantrums, we DID manage to have some fun. :)
On Saturday morning we went to the Children's Museum with Jenna and Charlie.
Then we went to Grandma and Grandpa's house for
Then, after
Today we went to the park with my friend Adrea...
...and then an ACTUAL 2.5 hour nap with no battle at all. (I'm not even going to go into the fact that Chris was able to get her down right away after 2 days of toddler ridiculousness with me. I'm just going to be happy with the success.) Hooray! We Skyped with MorMor and Bops in Sevilla, and Auntie Laura in Chicago. Uncle Dan came over to watch the Vikings game, so we got to hang out with him too! For a change of scenery, we headed over to Mari's place late this afternoon to watch the Lynx game.
Finally, an evening trip to Lunds where we found the car cart. Vrroooom Vrroooom!
Here we go...a start to another week. We are very excited for MorMor and Bops to come home on Wednesday. It has been 2 weeks since we have seen them (in person) and can't wait to hear about their amazing adventures in Spain!


Just know that EVERY parent (that has, or has ever had a toddler) feels your pain. I always tell my pregnant friends that no matter what, at some point, you WILL be that person with the screaming toddler in public - whether it be a restaurant, store, the park, anywhere. You can think it won't happen, but trust me, it will. And anyone who is a parent (and there are a lot of us) knows what you are going through, so don't sweat it.
ReplyDeleteBig hugs to you friend!!! Teddy already has definite "opinions," but luckily they only last a few minutes at most. And he's already testing us - as in "I know you said no, but what if I try it again? ... How about now? ... What if I smile?... or use my left hand? ... right hand??" I can only imagine what he'll be like in another 9 months! Hang in there and take good care of yourself!!
ReplyDelete