Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston

I don't know the statistics on the percentage of people who actually train for and finish full marathons, but I imagine the percentage isn't very high.

I'm proud to say I'm one of those people who have done it.

I did it with a group of friends/co-workers who were my biggest motivators and supporters through the whole training process.

It was October 2008.  We had trained for 18 weeks (not counting the training for the half marathon we did in May 2008).  We had put in blood, sweat, and tears through countless hours of training runs to get our bodies ready for 26.2 miles.

The day came and we were incredibly nervous and extremely excited to see if our training would pay off.

Dozens of friends and family members came to cheer us on, finding us at many different points throughout the race and ending at the finish line.

We did it.



All I have been able to think about since this afternoon is what happened in Boston today.  I think of the 23,000 people who went through all the months of training just like we did in 2008.  I think of all of the family members and friends who were there to cheer them on.  And I think about the finish line, a place that is supposed to be the symbol of pride in an amazing goal achieved, now a place of horror, fear, and destruction. 

I just can't imagine.

So, I pray.  And give thanks for my blessings. And try and have a little perspective about the things going on in my life.

I saw this on Facebook today and it touched me.  If there is anything good that can come out of tragedies like this, it is the reminder that there are so many more good people in the world than bad.


Sending many thoughts, prayers and love to those in Boston today.

No comments:

Post a Comment