Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Moods

If you're a parent to a toddler, you may be familiar with this book:


Sandra Boynton books are all adorable, but this one is my favorite.  Maybe it is because, as a mother of a toddler, I can completely relate.  Because our toddler can go from "Happy Hippo" to "Angry Duck" in approximately 1.3 seconds.  More like 1.3 milliseconds.

We read this book tonight because it was a rough afternoon/evening.  So here is a reading of the story (the author's words in bold text) with me inserting any comment that seems fitting for today (my words in red italicized text).

A-hem.  A-hem.

"Happy Hippo, Angry Duck.  A book of moods.  By Sandra Boynton."

"Hello, Little Person!  How ARE you today?  Is your mood quite terrific or only okay?"
Every time I read this Callie answers "Only okay."  EVERY TIME.

"Are you HAPPY AS A HIPPO?"
Um, that was the case for bath time, snack time and dinner time.
"Or ANGRY AS A DUCK?"
The ENTIRE REST of the afternoon/evening.
"Maybe SAD AS A CHICKEN? (Can you sadly say 'CLUCK CLUCK'?)"
She relishes in saying a VERY sad "CLUCK CLUCK."

"Are you...GRUMPY AS A MOOSE?
Or EXCITED AS A DOG?
WORRIED AS A RABBIT?
CONTENTED AS A FROG?"
No comment.  I say grumpy, she says excited.  Someone may need to learn how to be more self-aware.  That may, however, not be a developmentally appropriate 3-year-old skill.  I really REALLY wish it was.

"Perhaps, like a pig, you are SWEETLY AMUSED.  Or perhaps, like a cow, you're COMPLETELY CONFUSED."
Giggle giggle giggle.  The animals are funny!

"You might feel that, somehow, you've lost all your fizz.
Or you're FRAZZLED LIKE A...um...FRAZZLED THING.  (I'm not sure what that is)."
I'm not sure either, but I feel like it might be me.  Okay...I KNOW it is me.

"Well, I hope you are happy.  But if you are not, you have friends who will help you.  We like you a lot."
We are both thankful we have lots of friends.  She's thankful because she loves to play with them.  I'm thankful because they keep me sane. :)

"And a difficult mood is not here to stay.  Everyone's moods will change day to day."
Thank GOODNESS.  But in the case of 3-year-olds...it is minute to minute.

"Unless you're that duck.  He's always this way."
A good reminder to be thankful for the "Happy Hippo" times, no matter how few and far between they seem to be some days.  At least they are there.

So there you have it.  I hope you have enjoyed this bedtime story.  And I hope tomorrow we have more "Happy Hippo" moments than "Angry Duck" moments.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to order Mo Willems book - I think its called, "Penguins have feelings". Is it time for Sydney? If not, I can read it to Callie

    ReplyDelete