Oy vey.
When I dropped Cal off at preschool today, we found out there was a birthday, which meant gluten-FILLED cupcakes.
I had packed some popcorn for Callie as one of her snacks and told her she could eat that instead, and then promised her a little treat at home later.
On the way home she decided that she wanted her treat to be a popsicle. I told her it could be HALF a popsicle, because we just don't need to be eating all that sugar.
She wasn't too happy about that and was already starting to freak out about not getting ENOUGH popsicle.
(Side note- she ate some of Maya's baby puffs this morning, which are not gluten free. That was totally my bad. They were a different kind of puffs than I normally get, the other kind being gluten-free. Anyway, I HOPE that explains the behavior I'll now describe.)
So we get home and get a popsicle out. I warn her that I'm going to cut the popsicle in half and tell her that if she freaks out, she isn't getting any. I reiterate that she can either get half or none, depending on her reaction.
I cut it in half and she totally freaks and runs upstairs. She's quiet for a little bit, and then comes downstairs all bossy-like, telling me what is going to happen, mainly her getting the entire popsicle.
Me: Callie, if you talk to me like that, you are showing me that you can't handle this much sugar and you're not going to get the popsicle.
Callie: IF YOU TALK TO ME LIKE THAT, I'M GOING TO GET ALL THE POPSICLE.
Still holding the half popsicle, I try more reasoning. There is no reasoning with a 4-year-old on a mission to get a popsicle.
Commence total melt down. So obviously, she loses the popsicle privilege and I put it in the sink and melt it so it didn't get sticky stuff everywhere. (Ok, that was kind of cruel, but she was totally irking me with the ridiculous screaming).
So she grabs another popsicle out of the fridge and tries to open it herself. All the while screaming about wanting the popsicle.
Me: Callie, you have two options. One is to calm down, get some books, and read with Mommy. If you can't calm down, you need to go up to your room.
Callie: I WANT A POPSICLE.
Me: We're not going to have a popsicle tonight. Your options are to calm down and read with Mommy, or go upstairs.
Callie: I WANT A POPSICLE.
Me: Please put the popsicle away. We aren't going to have it tonight.
Callie: NO! I WANT THE POPSICLE.
Me: Callie, who is the boss?
Callie: ME!
Me: No, Mommy is the boss. I need you to put the popsicle away.
Callie: (totally serious) BUT I'M THE LITTLE BOSS!
And then I just burst out laughing.
It all eventually blew over and everything turned out fine. We had a pleasant time later reading books together, but no popsicle.
Too bad for her, I'm just as stubborn as she is.
Lucky for her, Daddy can sense when to give in a little bit to avoid further catastrophic melt downs, and allowed her to have a little (gluten-free) cookie treat, since she really did have to watch her whole class eating cupcakes today.
That little boss. She is something else.
No comments:
Post a Comment