Monday, August 30, 2010

Reflections of a WoMOM

Callie is napping (sort of...she's making peeps so we'll see how this goes) and my head is spinning. I need to just...get stuff out of my head and into the universe because that has a history of making me feel better. More centered. Not crazy. :)

So I created a new term for myself and other women like me. WoMOM = Working Mom. If you follow my blog you know that I have been struggling lately with going back to work, spending less time with my baby, and every emotion that goes along with that.

(Right now in the baby monitor I hear "Wa-wa-ni-ni-ayayayayay-AAAAAAHHHHH!" so I'll be right back.)

OK I'm back with a baby on my lap. This past week has made me such a sucker...haha.

Anyway...today at work we were asked the question "Why are you here?" and all 40-some staff members sat in a circle and shared their stories. This gave me the opportunity to listen to some amazing and inspiring people (I work with some of the BEST folks on the planet!) but it also forced me to really confront my issues and figure out what the heck is going on in my brain. And it comes down to this:

Callie is an unbelievably blessed baby, and Chris and I are unbelievably blessed to be her parents. We have the opportunity to provide her with so many things and experiences. Our friends and families do and will continue to contribute immensely to her growth and upbringing. Her future is full of endless opportunities.

Many of the students at my school are, unfortunately, in the complete opposite circumstances. Many have grown up in poverty with so many things about their life working against their success and with people who don't believe in them.

So while part of me will always feel a little guilty about not staying home with Callie, I know without a doubt that she will not suffer because of this. She has the great opportunity to get to know her grandparents on a special level. And to spend a whole day with her Daddy each week. She has so many important positive influences in her life...so many people who love her.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm grateful to have the opportunity to be that person for Callie, and for my students at school as well.

I learned today that just because something isn't easy, doesn't mean it is necessarily hard. It isn't easy to leave my baby every morning, but knowing that I get to see and teach other people's precious children makes leaving in the morning not exactly hard either.

Especially when I can look forward to seeing this when I get home:


So I am at peace with my WoMom-ness and am just thankful to everyone who makes it easier for me to be a WoMom!

OK enough of my ramblings...and typing one-handed! Thanks for listening and thanks for caring.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Kati - I know how you feel and you are right...Callie is extremely blessed to have a mom like you. It'll get easier, but never easy to leave her. Just know that you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely not alone. I feel the tug to be home with Harper every day I'm at work. But like you were saying about your job, I value my job and the opportunity to design buildings for those who need hospitals/schools/etc. At least you have your parents to care for Callie! It wouldn't be half as bad if my mom were the one watching Harper!

    ReplyDelete