Sunday, March 6, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

As I alluded to on Friday, we had a fairly big weekend. Chris and I escaped the cities for a few days with friends in the snow, while Callie made the grandparent/auntie rounds. It was the first time we have been away from her for so long. We've done the 1-night thing maybe twice, but the two-night/three-day thing was a new experience.

It was both awesome and heartbreaking.

The Awesome (Okay, I don't want to sound like a horrible Mom...I'm just a Mom that is thankful for Grandparents/Aunties to pick up my slack for the weekend):
1) Not needing to get out of bed until 8:30am (though my internal/maternal clock woke me up both mornings by 6:30 wishing I had a toddler to feed a bottle to). But then after a little reading, I managed to fall asleep again. Both mornings.
2) Not needing to worry about being the constant shadow of a toddler who is everywhere. We sat in a hot tub. We read. We drank wine.
3) Quality time with old friends and new friends.
4) Going out to dinner without needing a high chair and a big backpack of tricks to keep a certain little crazy girl entertained long enough for us to shove our food in our faces.

The Heartbreaking (If you've judged me for my previous list, hopefully I'll redeem myself here):
1) Not being able to wake up and kiss cutest face on the planet.
2) Not being able to watch my little one toddle around, fall on her butt, and laugh a big toothy-grinned laugh.
3) Not being able to read my little smartie books or put on music and watch her groove.
4) Getting updates from the grandparents/aunties and feeling both homesick for her and grateful for time away at the same time. It was a weird weird feeling.

Despite all of the crazy emotions, we had a fantastic time kicking back in a beautiful villa, skiing/snowshoeing, and being able to truly relax knowing that Callie was having a fabulous time with so many people who love her.

Here are a couple of pictures from our weekend:

The guys heading out to go skiing:

Me and Bethany heading out to go snowshoeing:

The Post-Skiing/Snowshoeing/Hottubbing Dinner in the Villa:

And a couple of pictures from Callie's weekend (via cell phone pics):

Auntie Mari came home on Friday:

Snuggles with Auntie Cathleen

And the best part of the weekend is knowing that it isn't over yet. I took tomorrow off knowing full well that after a weekend away from my Punkin Head, I would NOT be ready to go back to work.

2 comments:

  1. You are not even close to a horrible mom for needing to/enjoying being away for a few days! Am I a horrible mom/friend that I am jealous of you?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wasn't sure how to post all that, but ultimately decided to just own it. We had fun and I don't feel TOO guilty about it. :)

    ReplyDelete