Sunday, November 7, 2010

Never Grow Up

We're home! I'll post pics tomorrow, I'm super tired right now. But I want to share a story from the airplane.

We had walked a lot. We had taken two different trains. We had been through the security line (me juggling a baby, two bags and a very large stroller). We had sat at the gate for a half hour (chasing around a crawling baby). We had gotten on the airplane first and settled into our seat. The flight attendant told us we could move to the last row with two empty seats if we wanted. We moved all our stuff to the back. We entertained a crazy baby and made small talk with the flight attendant during take-off. We stood up when the crabby baby started fussing. We sat down when she actually calmed down while snuggling into and falling asleep in my arms. We were exhausted.

So I quickly got my iPod out, put my earbuds in, and settled in to listen to the new Taylor Swift album. The third song, "Never Grow Up", came on.

And the tears started flowing and didn't stop for about 20 minutes.

Here is a sample of the lyrics to the song:

"Your little hand's wrapped around my finger
And it's so quiet in the world tonight
Your little eyelids flutter cause you're dreaming
So I tuck you in, turn on your favorite night light
To you everything's funny, you got nothing to regret
I'd give all I have, honey
If you could stay like that

Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, just stay this little
Oh darling, don't you ever grow up
Don't you ever grow up, it could stay this simple
I won't let nobody hurt you, won't let no one break your heart
And no one will desert you
Just try to never grow up, never grow up..."

Do you understand why I was just a puddle sitting in the back row of the dark airplane holding my sweet sleeping 10-month-old baby?

So tired. So happy. So peaceful. So thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I just teared up reading the lyrics. I haven't heard the song but now I have to go download it.

    ReplyDelete