Wednesday, August 5, 2020

School 2020 Musings and Memes


Way back when, in June and July, the school decision felt far off, distant, and a far away problem to deal with.  

But now freaking August is here.




And COVID is worse than ever and there are so may things to think about and no one knows anything really and we have to make big scary decisions with no actual information and it feels IMPOSSIBLE.

Thankfully, I have curated a scrollable "community" on Instagram that expresses things that I'm feeling at all the exact right times.

As you can see, I follow an account called "Anxious Moms."  Very on brand for me, you might be thinking.  You would be right. A couple of weeks ago (or maybe just days?  or hours?  or months?  What is time anymore?) the account posted this:

ARGH.  BUT HOW DO I KNOW??????

So then cut to more weeks (months? hours? days?) of stressing and reading various news articles and everything is awful and no one still knows anything and here are all your options and decide now please so we can plan (which as an educator, I TOTALLY GET) but like WHAT THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO?

And then I saw this:



And I have never related more to a Disney princess than finding this meme.

So cut to last night, when I listened to some district Q&A from the girls' school and this morning when I read some suggestions from my school and it looks like the hybrid situation (likely 2-3 days on campus at 50% capacity and 3 days distance learning at home) is where everyone seems to be landing and I still think BUT THAT'S SO MANY PEOPLE IN PERSON AT ONE TIME INSIDE AND CHILDREN DON'T ALWAYS LIKE TO FOLLOW RULES AND ARE SO GERMY.

I'll be honest, I want to start the year with 100% distance learning again.

I will also say that I have absolute faith that the school officials that we are blessed to have making these impossible decisions for so many people.  I know they are doing everything they can to make choices that will keep people as safe as possible.

BUT DANG.  My mind has just been doing mental gymnastics for days and I'm tired.




I also completely understand that I am coming at this with a perspective of complete privilege in that Chris is now working from home, basically indefinitely, our girls are able to be pretty independent, and distance learning wouldn't majorly affect our lifestyle, finances, etc.  

All this to say, that 2020 has been a disaster from start to now, and my favorite mom comedians of #imomsohard made this and I FEEL IT SO HARD:



Good luck to everyone out there. We’re all in this together. Let’s all be kind, patient, and compassionate with one another. The world needs it more than ever.






No comments:

Post a Comment