Thursday, May 9, 2013

Listen To Your Mother

This week has made me frazzled.  I should probably say this month.  Maybe even this whole winter spring that we've had.  Frazzled.

Jenna and I went to an event tonight at the Riverview Theater- a show called "Listen To Your Mother."  It's tagline is, "Celebrating Mother's Day with a national series of live-readings shared on local stages and via social media."

Fourteen Twin Cities mothers got up on stage in front of a packed house with only a podium and a microphone and shared  a story they had written about motherhood.  Some stories were funny (hilarious, actually), some stories were painful, some were sweetly poignant, and yet they all brought the theater full of women (and some men) together in a way that was magical. 

In the era of "Mommy Wars" and criticisms and judgments and all the things women use to tear each other down in order to build themselves up, this two hours listening to real people tell their stories was refreshing. 

I'm still a little frazzled, and I even had a blog post in my mind earlier today all about our morning routine and how our toddler likes to complicate it by, among other things, insisting on wearing "squishy Tangled undies" even though I have no idea which ones those are and it takes her 5 minutes to find undies that are suitable for her discerning undies palette. 

But I'm going to skip that post for tonight and just kind of revel in the fact that as I was listening to the stories earlier in the evening, I had my beautiful three-year-old daughter on my mind and in my heart, and my other beautiful daughter kicking and jabbing me in my belly throughout the whole show. 

So now I'm feeling more blessed than frazzled.  And am looking forward to our "squishy underwear" negotiations in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment