Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Fighting Back

Yesterday I blogged about the 3s.

I'd say it was a slightly hormonal and emotional response to the frustrations of toddler rearing we've experienced lately.

Today, I decided to start fighting back.

My first tactic is to address the selective hearing (otherwise known as the I REFUSE TO LISTEN TO A WORD YOU SAY IF YOU ARE MY PARENTAL UNIT).

I'm totally using reverse psychology. 

If I want her to come with me upstairs, I say "YOU CAN'T FOLLOW ME!" to which she says "YES I CAN!" to which I say "DON'T YOU DARE!" as I'm marching up the stairs with her giggling right behind me.

Victory.

If I want to get her dressed, I say "OKAY I'M GOING TO GET DRESSED NOW!" and pretend to try and put her clothes on, to which she says "YOU CAN'T PUT ON THOSE CLOTHES, THOSE ARE MY CLOTHES!" to which I say "NOPE! THEY ARE MINE! THEY FIT ME!" to which she says "NO THEY DON'T" to which I say, "OH YEAH?? LET ME SEE IF THEY FIT YOU" and then totally get her dressed while she giggles.  Same scenario with getting her coat, shoes, or hat on.

Victory.  Victory.  Victory.

I don't know how long I'll be able to milk it for, but she is pretty entertained by it now, so that is my new favorite strategy.

My second tactic is to address the ridiculous potty training regression that I think is making me want to rip my hair out, or at least giving me some gray hair.  So we're going back to the positive reinforcement chart and upping the ante.  Suckers and little toys are no longer the big ticket items.  They're little tokens along the way to getting new dresses, books, and a princess movie.


I made it and explained it to her while she was in the bath tonight.  Surprise, surprise, she immediately said she has to go potty.  So we got her out of the bath, put her on the potty and HOLY COW was there a pee geyser that came out of her.  I haven't seen her pee that much in a month.

So...I'm hoping that is a good sign and that we just need to do some hardcore bribery.  I'm not above it at this point. 

That's all I got for now...we'll keep you updated on the progress.

In the meantime, if you have any other strategies for the above issues or any other toddler-related frustrations, feel free to send them our way.  We clearly need all the help we can get. :)

1 comment:

  1. You go mama!! Sounds like you have done some good work already! I hope for your vanity's sake (your poor hair!! At least pregnancy will help keep it nice and lush for a while!) that she keeps up the good choices.

    ReplyDelete