You've probably seen dozens of pictures of Callie at our park by now. On the swings. Hanging by the slide.
So far, it has been a place to go for Callie to play and get energy out, and for us to...hover.
I wouldn't say we're out-of-control-helicopter-parent hoverers, but we hover none-the-less. Parents just don't want their kids to get hurt.
Over the past few months, though, we've slowly backed off. While we used to climb up on the playground equipment with her, now we stand back and watch, fostering her independence (at least I hope that is what we are doing).
While before Callie used to watch other kids from afar, now she's starting to get interested. And brave.
On Monday, there was a little 4-year-old girl at the park playing alone. Callie noticed her right away, and came over to me and said "Hey! Who's that girl?" I told her she could go say hi. She thought about it while she did some more playing on her own. Then, she got brave and went up to the girl and said "Hi!" The girl said "Hi" back.
Callie's face lit up, and she turned to me and yelled "SHE SAID HI!"
She followed the little girl around for awhile and then wanted to swing.
Then the little girl followed us the the swings and asked to play.
So I watched Callie run off, following the girl, chattering away. So excited.
![]() |
| "Wait for me!" |
I know (and I worry) that it won't always be this easy. Having experience working in both elementary and secondary schools, I've seen how mean girls can be.
I hope and pray every day that we are teaching her to NOT be a mean girl, to be PROUD of being herself, and to ALWAYS be willing to say "Hi" at the park.

No comments:
Post a Comment