Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Boys

As a special education teacher at a small elementary school, I get the great opportunity to work with the same students year after year.  Often times I start teaching them in 2nd or 3rd grade, and continue to see them each year until they graduate from my school.

In my going-on-7-year career, I have had pockets of students who I think of as "my boys."  There is something about the little guys that tug at my heartstrings.  They can be such stinkers but so adorable at the same time.  I love them.

I was shocked to find out this morning that one of "my boys" from a couple of years ago committed suicide earlier this week.  I worked with him for 4 years.  He was 12-years-old. He was challenging, but we had a great relationship.  We even corresponded through email a couple of times after his family moved back to Mexico.  He was one of my favorites.

I'm just really sad.

But it made me take a step back today and appreciate how much I love my job...working with my kids.

Every morning I greet each of them at the door with a handshake and they all look me in the eye and say "Good morning Mrs. Gosselin."  This morning I treasured those handshakes, looked in those beautiful brown eyes, and smiled extra bright at "my boys" with tears in my eyes.

Please keep Juan's family in your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Kati, you have such a sweet heart for your students! Keep loving them well - you do a GREAT job! They are blessed to have you and know you.

    love, Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you friend. Big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete