Saturday, August 20, 2011

Summer Wrap-Up

The hours seem to be getting shorter, and I'm at the point where there is really only 48 hours left of summer vacation.  My heart breaks a little bit more as time ticks away.  I thought I was okay.  I've been feeling good.  But yesterday afternoon, when I was watching my little girl (who I have truly seen blossom into a girl this summer, and leave baby-hood behind) play, reality hit me. 

Transitions are hard.  Knowing the end of stress-free living is fast approaching is hard.  Knowing that sunshine-y days will be harder to come by is hard.  Knowing that I'll be away from home for 8+ hours a day is really really really hard.

But there are things that make reality easier to swallow.  Knowing Cal gets to go back to spending her days with her grandparents and daddy is wonderful.  Knowing that I love my job and the anticipation of seeing how my students have grown this summer is great.  Knowing that, though summer's sunshine is quickly going to be gone, fall and winter bring fun and exciting things too.

We just need to make it through this transition, establish another new routine, and life will be good.  Amazing, actually.


At the beginning of the summer I set goals for myself:

1) Learn Spanish (weekly Spanish classes with Cathleen!)-Check! I may not be fluent, but had a fun time anyway.
2) Attempt(healthy)cooking (regular workout/cooking dates with friend Bethany)- FAIL!  I had a few great dinners with Bethany, but I think I actually only cooked one meal.  Maybe next summer.
3) Train for another Half Marathon (registered for one on August 21st)- It's tomorrow at 7am.  Send prayers and good vibes please!
4) Lose 5-10 pounds (see 2 and 3)- FAIL! I love food to much.
5) De-clutter our house (and make our office into another playroom)- Hmmm...we're halfway there.  Our new goal is Thanksgiving.
6) Enjoy every second with my toddler- Check!  If you've been following the blog this summer, you know that this is true!
7) Soak it all up because it is going to go WAY too fast- Check Check Check.  See #6.

Despite some failure, I think the summer is one for the books.  And now I'll leave you with a few of my favorite pictures from the past few months.
June

July

August
 

No comments:

Post a Comment