Three-year-olds. OHMYGOODNESS.
We're less than two weeks from having a 3yo and...seriously. How does one little person go from this...
| "Hi! My name is Callie and I'm an ANGEL!" |
| "Hi! My name is Callie and I'm a MONSTER!" |
I have mentioned a few things the past couple months...things like googling defiant three year olds, and subliminal messaging that have shown a couple of different "sides" to our toddler. But I gotta say that the last couple of weeks has been challenging. And that would be an understatement.
Once again I feel lame for complaining. We only have one. She's perfectly healthy. We have tons of support. But even with all of those things going for us, we're in brand new territory and we're trying to figure it out. And we're learning that it is HARD, no matter how you slice it.
It's HARD when, for at least the last 7 or 8 mornings in a row, our toddler throws high-pitched-screaming-screeching-like-a-banshee-hissy-fits when we try to get her dressed. Every. Freaking. Morning.
It's HARD when EVERY TIME we leave the house, we have to endure the same hissy fits just to get her boots and coat on.
It's HARD when most of the words that come out of her mouth are either screeching or whining, despite our calm reminders and consistent expectations that she use her "big girl voice."
It's HARD when, even when we try to be the models of consistency and patience, we still get nowhere.
It's HARD when she's screaming and flailing on the floor and I want to do the same thing but I can't.
It's HARD when we hear what an angel she is during the day with our parents, but is the opposite of that at home with us in the mornings and evenings.
It's HARD when I'm a freaking TEACHER and EVERY SINGLE STRATEGY I try fails with my own child.
It's HARD.
I know it is a phase and everyone says that threes are worse than twos and we will survive it. I know that. And I know that tomorrow is another day and a chance to start over. And I'm thankful.
I'm also thankful for 8pm toddler bedtime.
Okay I'm done. Thank you for letting me vent. I promise my next post will be full of adorable toddler pictures and anecdotes. :)
Our daycare lady and doctor always tell me that Charlie acts that way for us because he feels so comfortable with us that he can truly let his emothions out. It's probably bs but it makes me feel better:) I just think, "He's throwing this HUGE tantrum because he loves me!" hope you get a relaxing evening!
ReplyDeleteYou are a good mama and know that we all feel this way sometimes. Hannah was the *exact* same way and we are just now coming out of it (she turns 4 in February so hang in there - it's a long haul), and she still turns into that screeching, wailing brat that I can't handle every once in awhile. Soon you will find a strategy that really does work and then it will work for a week and fail again. Then you find a new one. It's called parenting and none of us knows what we are doing. But you can do it! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteAmen, mama. This is hard. I just keep reminding myself that in a few years, I will wish he'd give me the time of day enough to throw a fit :) it works 44.3% of the time these days.
ReplyDelete