Saturday, July 7, 2012

Toddler GPS- QOTDs

--Author's Note: I'm experimenting with footnotes today (as marked by any number of *s).  Just for fun!--

Okay so if you know me well, you know that I am the opposite of directionally inclined.  I would say I am deeply directionally challenged*.

When I first got my driver's license (at 17...I think I had my permit for way over a year due to not wanting to actually drive**), my parents were probably as concerned about me getting lost as anything else.  Once I had to drive myself places, I realized how much I NEVER paid attention to where we were going the 17 years that I was a passenger. EVER.  My dad and Chris have gotten countless (probably frantic) calls from me over the years where I have absolutely no idea how I got to Golden Valley when I was heading for Roseville (those exact cities may not be totally accurate, but you get the idea).  When I don't know where I'm going and have to guess at which direction to go on the freeway, I usually guess wrong.  It is really ridiculous.

Anyway, I tell you all this because thankfully my toddler seems to have inherited her dad's sense of direction***.

For example:

On our way somewhere else we passed the exit where we usually get off to go to Target:
Callie: Hey!  Let's go that way!  I want to go to Target!
(Side note: We may need to lay off our Target addiction)


On our way to Boom's house we had to exit to get gas midway through the drive:
Callie: Hey!  This isn't the way to Boom's house!

On our way home (EVERY TIME) at the same spot where we exit to get to our house, talking to the cars ahead of us:
Callie:  NO NO CARS!!!  DON'T GO TO CALLIE'S HOUSE!!!!

On the way to G-ma and G-pa's house she knows the 2 different exits to take and often requests the one where we pass the giant pool balls in front of a store, at the exact right moment so we can get into the correct lane and exit:
Callie: I want to see the big balls!
(Side note: This one always makes me giggle a little bit.)

On the way somewhere in our usual direction (west), we passed a freeway exit right by our house that would take us east, an exit that just happens to take us to swimming lessons (which we have been to TWICE)
Callie: (pointing) If we got that way, we go to the pool! 


You get the idea.  I'm amazed pretty much EVERY time we are in the car now.  And I'm looking forward to having my own little kid GPS with me as she gets older.  Right now I'll take a Toddler GPS pointing me to the important places, like Target. 

"Let's go that way, Mom!"****
*Like majorly.  That part of my brain has GOT to be missing.

**I still feel the same way. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd hire a chauffeur so I would never have to drive ever again.

***Ironically, her ability to FOLLOW directions from her parents is somewhat lacking these days.

***Don't worry, I wasn't multitasking while driving.  This picture was staged while parked in front of our house.  My little model did a good job pretending to tell me where to go!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha this post is hilarious, i love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd also hire a chauffeur. Great idea! And before the iPhone map, I did many a frantic calls to Aaron saying "I don't know where I am!!" :)

    ReplyDelete