Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summer vs. Winter Pregnancy

So with Callie, the uncomfortable end of my pregnancy was in December.  Aaaahhhh, December.  I can just imagine the chill in the air.  How lovely it must have been.

This time around, the uncomfortable end is in June and July.  IT IS SO HOT IN JUNE and JULY.  Like SO SO SO SO HOT.

For example, I was at a 4-day training this week.  We were in a VERY air conditioned room (thankfully).  Other people were wearing sweatshirts.  Some brought blankets.  I was happy to be in my tank tops or summer dresses, and STILL had to fan myself at various times. 

In December, I was able to wear big bulky sweaters and slippers (the only shoes my feet could fit in to by the end).  So I was relatively covered up.

This time around, I try and wear as little as possible without being indecent.  Cotton dresses are my friend.  Shorts and tank tops.  But no bulky layers, so my bump is just out there under a single layer, for all the world to stare at.  (And they do.)  And my swollen feet can't be hidden by slippers.  It is flip flops all the way...no other sandals fit and any other shoe is too darn hot.  So by the end of the day I have lovely flip flop lines in my feet.  Not flip flop tan lines, just flip flop indents because of the swelling.  It is pretty awesome.  Also, because I'm not wearing pants, my cankles are on full display as well.  I have never felt more lovely.

But, despite pregnancy, there are obviously some great things about having a baby in the summer.

We aren't in the middle of the H1N1 virus chaos, so we won't feel the need to be cooped up and quarantined the first months of Hamsie's life.  We'll get to go on walks right away and won't have to bundle a newborn in a ridiculous amount of layers just to leave the house.  Oh- and we won't get stuck in a snow storm on the way home from the hospital.  That'll be a big plus.

It has been interesting having opposite experiences with pregnancy towards the end, though the pregnancies themselves have felt fairly similar.  I go to the doctor tomorrow, which I'll be doing weekly now until she comes.  I'm anxious to find out my progress, baby position, and anything else I'll be able to find out.  It is time to get ready for this little one!

And for some exciting news for our family- Callie's great-grandma (Gi-Gi) has officially moved from Eau Claire to Minneapolis!  We went to visit her at her new place tonight, and it will be wonderful to have her in town.  Especially with all the fun changes that will be happening this month.  Welcome to Minnesota, Gi-Gi!   

1 comment:

  1. If I ever have another baby, I am going to plan a spring/summer baby. Nothing worse than being stuck inside and the threat of flu for your baby(ies). Seriously! I always say I wouldn't have had such bad baby blues if I had seen the sun even just once during B&H's first 4 months of life. You'll have so much fun taking the baby out before it starts to get cold! Jealous!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete