Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Doctor's Appointment

Blog Post by Kati:

We had our first doctor's appointment today and it was great! They asked us a bunch of family history/medical questions...gave us a little diaper bag full of samples and a Gerber bib and a big bound book full of things about what to expect throughout the pregnancy and after with the baby. It looks like it will be really helpful.

The most exciting part about the visit was we got to hear the heart beat!!! My doctor, Dr. Krahl, had to feel around on my belly for awhile, but was very persistent and eventually found it. It was amazing to hear that...and reassuring that everything is going well. She thought my uterus was a little bit big for 9-10 weeks...so she wanted me to schedule an ultrasound which will be happening in 2 days. Either the due date is off, or...there could be more than 1 baby in there. We'll find out on Thursday.

After that she sent me to the lab for blood work. I had to fill 6 vials of blood for various tests. The lab technician who took my blood was really nice...and was surprised to have to do so many different vials. I don't mind the needles too much, which is a good thing because she couldn't fill all of them with my right arm. So she had to take the last one from my left arm. So I got poked twice. The men in my family wouldn't have survived... :)

So next step is the ultrasound on Thursday where we'll be able to see the baby (I assume!) and get an accurate due date! Then we have the next doctor's appointment set up for June 30th at 2:15.

In the meantime I need to be checking with my insurance about different things they cover, we need to be researching hospitals (either Fairview Southdale or Abbot Northwestern) and figuring out prenatal classes, etc...exciting stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment