Monday, June 8, 2020

In Training and Unlearning

Summer is usually my time to train for something.  Except for last year (I did my half last May), the many previous summers past were spent training for half marathons.  This year, with COVID, no actual races are happening in person.  BUT.  Virtual races are happening.

So.  I signed up for a couple of things.

One- a CUMULATIVE Marathon.  Through Bloomington Community Ed, I signed up to run 26.2 miles in June.  The proceeds of my race registration go to VEAP.

Two- Urban Wildland Virtual 10K.  The proceeds go to the Woodlake Nature Center.

So last Monday I started an intermediate 8 week 10K training program, and I have to run my 6.2 race on my own sometime between July 25th and August 1st.

Every time I walk out my door to do an outdoor run in my safe suburban neighborhood, I acknowledge my white privilege.  I decided to donate the amount of miles I run each week to a different organizations that I have researched that do racial justice and equality work.  This week I'm donating $17.75 to the Black Voters Matter Fund. I thought I'd share the different organizations each week in case you want to check them out too.

My 6:30am runs are beautiful and I'm very grateful that I'm able to do them.


And now I’m grateful to be able to share important work that others are doing to make our world a better place.





No comments:

Post a Comment