Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Election 2016

I have been pretty quiet about this election because I'm not much of a political activist or do-er. I'm an introvert who prefers to be at home in my PJs. 

But I will say I have been obsessed with politics podcasts and polls the past couple months. And I spent 90+ minutes in line to exercise my right to vote.

Like a lot of the country, I really thought Hillary had it in the bag, and I'm really surprised by how affected I am that it went the other way. So drastically.

Before today, I was excited to be able to share the news with Callie that a lady was going to be president. She had heard things about the candidates and was excited about Hillary too- mostly because of the gender thing, I thought.

When I went up to her room this morning to tell her the results, a genuine look of fear came over her face. Because she heard Trump wants to build a wall. And her best friends at school are from Mexico and have family in Mexico.  And what does that mean for them?

She asked good, thoughtful questions that I couldn't really answer them well because of my intense disappointment. 

I am well aware that neither candidate was without flaws, but as someone who has spent my career working with and for some of the people that have been insulted and marginalized during this campaign... And as the mom of two little girls... 

I just can't believe all the fear and all the hate.

I have learned a great lesson the past year and a half (in the face of shock and loss and grief) that was my mantra today as well: 

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5

I guess I just wanted to document this day, because it will be a big one in history. I genuinely hope and pray that we can recover and come together and just freaking love each other.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment