Monday, November 16, 2015

My Grandpa

It was a hard day at work today. I was working with a lot of students who deal with many struggles that I'll never deal with in my life time. As a teacher these days, that is pretty much a given. We get kids who walk through our doors every day that have hard lives. It gives much needed perspective, even though it makes certain days hard.

On this day 12 years ago, my grandpa passed away. George Henderson, my dad's dad, was a math teacher and professor in a time much different than this. But I still have no doubt about the number of his students' lives he positively affected.

I was in college when he died, so I never got to talk to him about being a teacher. But I do remember that he took great joy in coming up with math problems and puzzles for his granddaughters to solve- even if it was during Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm thankful that I got to experience his passion for teaching, and that I was on the learning end of it.

Even if it was at the dinner table. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment