I have a love-hate relationship with rhyming.
I enjoy the rhythm and rhyme of fun poems here and there...both reading and writing them.
But, as a teacher of students who have reading disabilities, rhyming kicks my butt.
For some reason, the skill of rhyming is SO HARD for some students with reading disabilities. I go over and over word families and rhyming words in different ways and different forms and they often still don't get it. (i.e. Me: Which words have the same ending sound: cat, sing, bat? Student: Cat and sing? Me: (in my mind) AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!)
It has been my teaching nemesis for years.
Until now. As a teacher's kid, Callie has to deal with me teaching her stuff. All. The. Time.
Our latest thing has been rhyming...and SHE GETS IT. SHE TOTALLY GETS IT.
Remember the Call Me Maybe song we did back in September? That got the ball rolling and it has been rolling ever since.
I took a video of her because she was being cute playing with her barn at Boom and Bops' house. But she morphed it into a rhyming game and I was happy to oblige.
Now she asks to play the rhyming game and I'm in teacher heaven. As much as I really do love teaching kids who have difficulties learning to read, it is amazing to be able to teach my own kid and have her pick up things so quickly. She is a little sponge and I'm having a blast.
No comments:
Post a Comment