Sunday, April 22, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up: The 28-Month-Old Edition

It is April 22nd.  A certain toddler is 28-months-old.  A very dramatic 28-months-old.

I'm telling ya, this 2-year-old business is so great and so hard all at the same time.

The great:
*Watching her vocabulary development and all the learning and thinking that takes place in her head
*Watching her start to interact more with other people and other kids (though she is still REALLY shy, it is getting better)
*Getting the hugs, cuddles, and kisses (when we can slow her down enough to give us the time of day)
*Her yearning for independence and being SO proud of herself when she does something by herself
*How much she loves our family and how much they love her
*The fact that she is still little enough to want me the most when she is upset (unless it is me that made her upset, then I'm out)
*When I look at her beautiful little face in AWE that this little person came from me

The hard:
*The mood swings (O.M.G...the mood swings!)
*Her yearning for independence when it is for things that are still just too hard for her (and she doesn't understand that they are still too hard)
*The way she pushes boundaries, making us really work hard to be consistent and not give in (even though it would be So. Much. Easier.)
*The way I sometimes feel like Jan Brady from the Brady Bunch Movie when she says "Am I invisible?  Do I not have a voice?" (shout out to my sisters- they are probably the only ones who will know that reference)...basically, more often then not I talk to her or ask her do something and she either ignores me or does the exact opposite

So, there you have it.  The great and the not-so-great things about 28-month-olds.  Thankfully, the great things FAR outweigh the hard.

On to the weekend...

Friday
We were sad to find out last Monday that our friend Alison's mom passed away after a very brave battle with cancer.  Chris and I were thankful to be able to go to the funeral on Friday afternoon.  It was a wonderful celebration of her life.   We spent the rest of the evening home as a family, just doing our normal things.

Saturday
We weren't very exciting on Saturday, which may be the cause of our toddler being Little Miss Moody.  Or maybe we weren't very exciting because our toddler WAS Little Miss Moody.  Who knows.  But by early afternoon, we needed a change of scenery so I took her over to see Boom and Bops.  She helped Boom wash bird poop off their car (Backstory: Callie noticed the bird poop on Friday when driving with my mom, and was VERY interested in it...so she was excited to help.)

On Saturday night I went out with my friend Adrea, so Chris and Brent hung out with Callie.  Brent is one of the few guys that Callie will actually warm up to really quickly.  I heard that she even wanted him to put her down for sleepies instead of Daddy...

Sunday
We did a lot of activities to avoid mood swings.  Grocery store.  Muffin making.  Etc.  Then we took her to G-ma and G-pa's house for some play time and nap time so we could get our out of control laundry situation under control.  G-ma and G-pa were also babysitting a 4-month-old baby, Zinnia, and Callie loved her!

Sunday afternoon we were walking around the neighborhood and ran into our neighbors, so Callie decided to help them out and pull Ben and Hannah in the wagon. :)

Sunday evening, while Chris and Bops went to a T-Wolves game, Cal and I headed to Auntie Cat's for a delicious soup dinner and fun at Lake Nokomis.



I'll leave you with a (cell phone quality) video of Callie sort of singing her new favorite song: Fun.'s We Are Young. She calls it the "Whoa Whoa Song."  If you listen to mainstream radio, you probably hear it every 15 minutes.  If you don't, here's a snippet:


It also seems appropriate to post a song called "We Are Young" as I currently only have one day left in my 20s. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I do hear you on the mood swings - and the mind changing every .025seconds. I want milk. No juice. No milk. No water. Ugh, I told you juice woman!!! And happy early bday lady! I know we have been saying this for years, but we really are so old :)

    ReplyDelete