It has been 6 months since my dad died. SIX MONTHS.
As you have probably noticed if you are a regular reader, I try as hard as I can to look for the light.
Those sunrays. They bring me comfort.
I've been rolling around ideas in my brain for how to acknowledge that we have lived half of a year without him.
As you have probably noticed if you are a regular reader, I try as hard as I can to look for the light.
Those sunrays. They bring me comfort.
I've been rolling around ideas in my brain for how to acknowledge that we have lived half of a year without him.
My brain keeps coming back to the words GRATITUDE and WISDOM.
So here is a list of 6 things I learned that I'm grateful for in these past 6 months. My hope is that you'll see some glimmers of wisdom and gratitude on this list, because those were two things my dad showed on a daily basis.
So here is a list of 6 things I learned that I'm grateful for in these past 6 months. My hope is that you'll see some glimmers of wisdom and gratitude on this list, because those were two things my dad showed on a daily basis.
6. I've learned the importance of showing up for people in times of crisis, and am beyond thankful for the many that showed up for me and my family. Before this happened I had no idea what to say to people who were hurting in ways I didn't understand. Now I know it doesn't matter what you say- it matters that you try. It reminds me that our village is amazing- they have shown up with kindness, hugs, wine (among other sweet gifts) and love. And that makes me feel incredibly blessed.
5. I've learned that I can persevere more than I ever thought I could. I'm thankful my body and mind allowed me to train for and complete a half marathon this past summer, during the most physically and emotionally draining time of my life. Running is something my dad used to do...and something we'd occasionally do together. It reminds me that my dad was always one of my biggest fans. And that makes me cry (in a good way).
4. I've learned that I'm completely in love with the little family Chris and I created together (more than I ever thought possible), and also so very thankful that the girls are still young. Even on good days, parenting can be a struggle. When you're grieving, it can seem almost impossible. But it reminds me that I need to give myself grace everyday because, chances are, they won't remember too much about this hard time. And that brings me relief.
3. I've learned that I'm thankful for teaching. It is more than a job. It is a vocation. My school is a place I go to escape...to feel somewhat normal. It is a place where I feel valued and supported, and where I also feel like I'm making a difference. It reminds me that my dad was so proud of me and what I chose to do with my life. And that makes me happy.
2. I've learned that watching the people you love most in the world fight through grief and do hard things is incredibly painful and incredibly inspirational. It reminds me that my mom and sisters are my heroes. And I couldn't be more thankful for them.
1. I've learned that, despite it all, I'm thankful for what grief has taught me: that even though the world (as I know it) completely fell apart, life flows on.
The thing with unexpected tragedy is that the shock of it brings you to your knees. And the anger about it makes it hard to pray.
But that is where hope and faith come in.
Other people's prayers carry us when we need them. The sun comes up every day, as a reminder that light always overcomes darkness.
We are taken care of. Supported. Loved more than we ever thought possible.
And I'm grateful that I get daily reminders of that love and light.
Other people's prayers carry us when we need them. The sun comes up every day, as a reminder that light always overcomes darkness.
We are taken care of. Supported. Loved more than we ever thought possible.
![]() |
"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." -John 1:5








No comments:
Post a Comment